Date:      Mon, 06 May 2002 09:56:08 -0700
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@mass.dis.org>
To:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can anyone suggest what needs fixing /usr/src/contrib/pnpinfo.c

> > > john# pnpinfo
> > > Checking for Plug-n-Play devices...
> > > No Plug-n-Play devices were found
> > >
> > > this is on a box that has pnp things in it that get probed by the kernel
> > > and work successfully.
> >
> > You don't have a problem.
>
> interesting assertion. it implies that there is a mechanism for dumping
> the pnp device 'facts' to the screen that i am heretofore unaware of.

acpidump.

> > pnpinfo only report on ISA PnP devices, and your PnP devices are
> > enumerated by talking to the BIOS.
>
> yes, but they are enumerated *very* quietly. i'd like to have a userspace
> ability to peek. 'tis a handy thing.

The PnP BIOS is obsoleted.

> i can su to root and run pciconf. neat tool.
>
> what's the pnp equivalent? pnpinfo, right?

There is none.

> my current belief is that adding an ioctl to /usr/src/sys/isa/pnp.c that
> allows a userland process to obtain these facts would be a positive thing.

It would be useless.

> > Can you please stop with this pointless quest now?
>
> if it's pointless, u bet i'll stop!
>
> but i'm currently hypothesizing that you are mistaken.

No.

You're running off down a path that has no benefit to either yourself or
FreeBSD in the long run.  What you want to achieve is best handled by the
use of ACPI; you can read the raw tables with acpidump and look at the
resulting device tree with devinfo.

Consider investing time and effort where it will yield the best return.
Futzing with pnpinfo is not a good example.

 = Mike

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not