Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2023 14:53:59 -0500
From:      Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        "John R. Levine" <johnl@iecc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, wfdudley@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Sendmail on 14-RELEASE

On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 2:47=E2=80=AFPM John R. Levine <johnl@iecc.com> wro=
te:

> >> Most freebsd machines are not used as mail servers. DMA is small and
> >> fast and adequate to handle mail from a stub system that might have a
> >> local mailbox or two and relays the rest of the mail to a smarthost.
> >
> > I would completely disagree that the machine I was asking about does
> > not use email at all except during manual and automatic testing of a
> > web app it is the main test/development machine it is for.   Without
> > something that can *SEND* mail it is impossible to test this
> > functionality. ...
>
> As I said in the message you quoted, DMA sends mail anywhere you want by
> relaying it to a smarthost.  I have virtual FreeBSD machines all over the
> place with DMA that mail me status reports.

Again *WRONG* it does not work with local aliases (I set up aliased
a-z [see original post for example of the a alias]).   Since all we
are doing is testing if java/javamail works and it uses the *LOCAL*
SMTP server to send all email even if local then having a non-SMTP
server like DMA is a immediate no go.   Note the app when under test
*NEVER* sends anything but local mail (to the above aliases only).
Also for HIPAA reasons we have made the development environment NAT
gapped with the public Internet and thus it is not capable of
receiving external mail anyways (nor sending it).   It is purely for
local testing and DMA is not a suitable replacement in this case.

> Perhaps this would be a good time to read the manual rather than guessing=
.

The handbook made no mention of sendmail not being installed by
default and only mentioned DMA in passing without stating it was the
default option.   So in this case RTFM would have been no help at all.
(Finally figured it out from reading the man page on mailler.conf
which was not even pointed to by the man page on DMA).

> Regards,
> John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Du=
mmies",
> Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly