Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 07:18:18 -0500
From:      Timothy J Luoma <public+FreeBSD@fdt.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X desktop contest? + Desktop Env

	Author:	"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
	Date:	Mon, 09 Nov 1998 09:44:16 -0800
	ID:	<7819.910633456@time.cdrom.com>

> > It is astonishing to me that FreeBSD continues to ship with a two
> > default shells that are not good for interactive use and an out-of-date
> > window manager, and remains relatively difficult to get up and running
> > in critical areas, specifically graphics, printing, sound, and communica-
> > tions.
>
> Not so astonishing - it's quite clear by these results that the number
> of people who actually CARE about this must be very small indeed.

Um.... there are those of us who don't have someone they can call on the
phone to get help setting these things up, and therefore don't install
FreeBSD at all.

I know of at least one person intimidated by ending up with a "login: "
prompt, only to be followed by a "#" prompt (or whatever it is) with no
experience setting up X and no idea what all the varius windowing packages
are called and what differentiates one from another.

TjL