Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:28:57 +0300 (MSK)
From:      bag@sinbin.demos.su (Alex G. Bulushev)
To:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net (Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com)
Cc:        agdolla@datanet.hu, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fault tolerant :)) setup

> >infortrand RAID's allow fault-tolerant scheme with two or more servers,
> >but it is a problem to mount the same UFS from different servers ...
> >
> >u can mount disk RW only for one server, after first server fail,
> >the second server run fsck and mount disk (or mount disk RO) ...
> >it is not good, but we use this scheme ...
> >
> >may be JFS :)
>
> There have to be hardware products out there, somewhere, that work
> this way, because this is they way NT clustering server works.  You
> must have two SCSI controllers connected to one or more (SCSI) drives.

u can use RAID's controllers (DPT, Infortrand etc) that allow maping of
the same logical drive on different SCSI channels, or connect SCSI
controlers of both servers on the same SCSI bus with shared disk's ...

> I believe both servers are allowed to work and do dual service while
> they are well.  The good server takes over when the bad one fails.
>
> Don't know if they had to do any magic to NTFS to make this work, or
> if the magic happens inside the clustering services on both machines.

don't know about NTFS, but for dual servers work on the same FS it is
necessary to use journaling (or loging) FS with special locking scheme,
unfortunately this is inaccessible for fbsd servers ...

   Alex.