Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 1997 21:03:32 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Complaining at Warner Brothers?

> > You gotta be joking!  BSD/OS netscape doesn't even support plugins 8(
>
> This isn't true - unless you define 'plugin' differently than I do...

He's defining plug-in the way netscape defines it.  Any personal
definitions of your own you may have for this term aren't really that
applicable in this case and should be confined to your own private
lexicon. :-)

> I have and use the RealAudio 'plugin' for BSD Netscape.  They're also
> known as "helper applications"...

No, you are quite incorrect.  Helper applications are known as helper
applications.  Plug-ins are known as plug ins.  They're totally
different animals and should not be confused, OK? :)

One good reason that they shouldn't be confused is that FreeBSD
supports any number of helpers but NO plug-ins due to the fact that,
well, Netscape hasn't availed themselves of our dlfoo() routines and
BSDI's shared library interface SUCKS with a capital S.

					Jordan