Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2018 21:01:26 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Siddharth Muralee <siddharth.muralee@gmail.com>,  FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [GSoC] Kernel Fuzzing suite

On 27 February 2018 at 19:13, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org> wrote:

> I'd suggest suggest looking for one of the existing frameworks that does
> work at least minimally, but has incomplete coverage it proposing a
> project to enhance things to support FreeBSD.  For example, my
> understanding of the status of Syzkaller is that is supports syscalls
> that are identical to those on Linux.  That presumably means that there
> are many syscalls including quite important ones that aren't covered.

There's a good amount of work to be done on Syzkaller for FreeBSD
still - there's a list at the bottom of
https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/docs/freebsd.md.

One of my Waterloo co-op students from last term worked on automation
for Syzkaller/FreeBSD, and Mitchell, one of this term's students, is
working on the first item from the above list: kernel coverage
support. I'd say the next most important item is second on that list,
extending the set of syscalls supported by Syzkaller.