Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:18:13 +0900 (JST)
From:      hashi@csl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp (Mikio Hashimoto)
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   signal handling in FreeBSD Java

Dear freebsd-java reflector members

 I'd like to ask a question about signal handling in freebsd JDK.

 I'm developing a program that uses JNI and asynchronous IO.  The
program handles asynchronous input from a special socket interface
through JNI, as shown in figure below.
 On arriving an asynchronous input, a signal SIGUSR1 is issued from
the socket interface to the java process, then a preregistered signal
handler of the java process is called. The handler invokes particular
input method in user java library.

               User Java Library(with awt)
           freebsd-jdk 1.1.7

      Java VM  +--------------------------------
               | Native Method (written in C )
    -----------+---------------------------------
       IO,etc  | special socket I/F for IEEE 1394
            Free BSD kernel

This program well worked for simple test program without awt widget
library.  But once GUI program with awt applied to the program, the
java process frequently crashes or hangs up. Sometimes following
messages can be seen.

 1) X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect errno=4
 2) Warning: select failed

 I guess the message 1) tells that some signals(probably my socket
signal) disrupted socket operation in X windows system. The error
number four corresponds to the EINTR error. Is it right?
 As for second message, actually I use select system call for
asynchronous input handling. Above explanation is very simplified one.
I'm afraid that using select() system call in native method disrupts
java process on working for normal class loading or networking.

 Does anyone have suggestion about my problem?

Best Regards.
--------
Mikio Hashimoto
Laboratory I, Communication and Information Laboratories,
Toshiba R&D Center
fax +81-44-520-1806