Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:34:46 +0200
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/67970: ports textproc/libxml, textproc/libxslt: bogus dependencies on devel/pkgconfig

Pav Lucistnik wrote:

> V st, 16. 06. 2004 v 14:58, Oliver Eikemeier p=ED=9Ae:
>
>> the .pc file in the base and add libdata/pkgconfig to the mtree =
files,
>> especially since there are more ports that have problems with that.
>
> Adding libdata/pkgconfig to mtree sounds like a good idea. Depends how
> broad mtree should be, that depends on portmgr's vision.

Yep. otherwise a simple INSTALLS_PKGCONFIG=3Dyes would do the trick,=20
although
it seems like we would only exchange a single line in pkg-plist with one
in the Makefile in this case.

>> OTOH you seem to selectively ignore the other samples given, which =
does
>> not seem very wise to me either. I can not understand why you have =
such
>> an emotional relation to a plainly wrong dependency.
>
> I talked with you on the subject extensively on IRC yesterday, and
> you're firmly rooted in your believes and opinions. No reason to =
repeat
> whole conversation over email again.

True, and I aborted the discussion because it got emotionally heated. I
submitted the PR in the hope of starting a more technically oriented
discussion, like getting some examples of breakage when this dependency
would be removed. I'm a little disappointed of the lack of real =
arguments
in this thread. Most of my questions remain unanswered, like whether you
believe devel/valgrind, devel/pcsc-lite, print/freetype2, graphics/png,
www/neon, www/openvrml, x11/XFree86-4-libraries and x11-toolkits/qt33
should run-depend on pkgconfig too.

-Oliver