Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 22:02:52 +0800 (CST)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mystery DSP behavior

I have a Toshiba Tecra 510CDT.  Under 2.2.x, I had no problems with the
sound system.  Since upgrading to 3.x (from the first 3.0-RELEASE until
the current -STABLE), if I send a high-bitrate audio stream to /dev/sb0
(particularly 128k mpg123 playback), it produces static and popping sounds
(sort of like a heavily damaged 45rpm record).  If I drop the bitrate by
a factor of two (-2 switch) the quality improves significantly, but not
to the point it was with 2.2.x.  After the most recent upgrade, I happened
to notice this console message:

	SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0xd4) timeout. IRQ conflict ?

However, there doesn't appear to be:

	% dmesg | grep -i irq
	atkbd0 irq 1 on isa
	psm0 irq 12 on isa
	sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
	sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
	ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 on isa
	wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
	wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
	fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
	sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
	pcic: controller irq 9

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be or how
to go about fixing this?

	-Michael Robinson