Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 1995 21:54:47 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        bob@obiwan.pmr.com (Bob Willcox)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (freebsd-hackers)
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2740 question

>I just installed an Adaptec 2740 in one of my systems and for some
>reason both the EISA configuration utility and the aic7xxx device
>driver think that this is a twin channel adapter (2740T, I think).
>Since the connnector for Channel B is not installed on the card it
>can't hardly be one.

The way that both the FreeBSD driver and the EISA configuration
utitlity tell this is by doing a chip reset on the card and
looking for a specific value in a register.  Someone in the
Linux camp had this happen to a 2740 that had been working
fine for some time.  He said that pulling the adaptor out
and reinserting it in the slot fixed the problem.  It might
be worth a try.

>On boot the channel B is being probed (of course there's nothing
>there).  Is this normal?

Well, does it hang your system?  If not, then don't do anything.  If
it does, you can disable the B-channel probe in the driver.  Just
take a look at the ahc_attach routine in i386/scsi/aic7xxx.c.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1