Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 13:13:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Installing w/ 8MB RAM

[Please leave me in the Cc:, I'm not subscribed]

[Cc:'d freebsd-small thinking those folks might have some ideas]

I've got a P100 laptop with 8MB of RAM on which I'd like to install
FreeBSD.  My only install option on this laptop is a network install, as
it has no CDROM.  I have a PCMCIA NIC that works with the xe driver.
Upon booting with kern and mfsroot floppies, I am given the option to
configure PCMCIA services, which I do.  However, I am unable to select
xe0 as an install device.  Switching to ttyv1 reveals an error message
indicating that the installer could not launch pccardd because it ran
out of swap space.  Does anyone have recommendations on how to free up
enough memory to run pccard during the install?  I can build custom
install floppies if necessary, I've got other FreeBSD/i386 machines.

--
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.  There might be a
law against it by that time."	-- /usr/games/fortune, 07/30/2001

Brandon D. Valentine <bandix at looksharp.net>