Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2002 05:21:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        paul beard <pdb2@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tip(1) questions

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, paul beard wrote:

> So I have tried to use tip to connect to this old printer, and it
> seems less than responsive. tip will connect but that I can't use
> any escapes: I have to kill the tip process from another session.
> I did successfully get the printer to identify itself after I
> power-cycled it, but that was it.
>
> tip was unable to do anything else for me and subsequent
> connections required me to kill the process. The baud rates should
> be OK (I am using 57600).

Dunno if an old serial printer can go even that fast; it isn't really
necessary for it to support a rate faster than it can print, which could
be much less.  Handshake could also be a problem.  Serial cables have
always been a pain, serial *printer* cables even more so.  I'd start
with 9600 baud and XON/XOFF handshake, then work up to faster rates and
hardware handshake if the printer supports it (Mac serial mini-DIN
connectors are missing some of the standard non-standard serial pins.)