Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 2021 10:30:28 -0800
From:      Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Marek Zarychta <zarychtam@plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>, FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT, usr/src on git, howto "mergemaster"?

> On Jan 4, 2021, at 10:19, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFOn Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 9:36 AM Marek Zarychta <zarychtam@plan-b.p=
wste.edu.pl>
> wrote:
>=20
>> W dniu 04.01.2021 o 17:14, Warner Losh pisze:
>>=20
>>> etcupdate does a full three merge, while mergemaster fakes it in a numbe=
>>> of ways. etcupdate directly keeps track of the resolutions, which is why=

>>> $FreeBSD$ doesn't matter so much to it.
>>>=20
>>> mergemaster is deprecated and will likely be removed from the system
>>> because it has no maintainer and is quite a bit harder to keep working
>> than
>>> etcupdate.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Please don't sacrifice mergemaster(8) for the successful transition to
>> Git. The amount of feedback on the mailing list should give the core@
>> some idea of how widely mergemasted is still deployed. Some people just
>> like to merge files side by side with pressing keys. Why innocent
>> mergemaster(8) has to be a victim of switching to Git? Sacrifice please
>> svnlite(1) - it became completely useless for HEAD and upcoming stable
>> branches.
>>=20
>=20
> mergemaster has been on its way out since well before the switch to git.
> It's been disfavored for at least a decade and basically unmaintained in
> the base for maybe last 5 years. Apart from major breakage, only doc
> changes have happened in that time.

Adding to this: it has no maintainer, it=E2=80=99s less featureful, and it l=
acks tests. Once I switched to etcupdate a few years back I never looked bac=
k at mergemaster.

I honestly think it should be deprecated in 13.x and removed in 14.x. It=E2=80=
=99s been several major releases since it=E2=80=99s been unofficially deprec=
ated.

-Enji=