Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 10:54:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: talk (fwd)

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Stephen Roome wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 1998, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > The "Itsy Pocket Computer" is a small handheld computer based on the
> > low-power, high-performance StrongARM SA-1100 microprocessor. Our
> > current prototype runs at 200MHz on a pair of AAA batteries, and
> > sports a tiny, high-resolution LCD touchscreen, a high-quality audio
> > codec, and up to 64MB of memory.
<snip>
> [It still amazes me that there are so many better options than Intel and
> no-one ever uses them, writing ARM is a damn sight easier than 80x86 code
> yet no-one ever writes for what seems to be a cheaper and far superior
> chipset.Please excuse my ranting, but I find this overmonopolised (sp?)
> industry this somewhat depressing.]

"Imagine that Cray computer decides to make a personal computer.  It has
a 150 MHz processor, 200 megabytes of RAM, 1500 megabytes of disk
storage, a screen resolution of 4096 x 4096 pixels, relies entirely on
voice recognition for input, fits in your shirt pocket and costs $300.
What's the first question that the computer community asks?

"'Is it PC compatible?'"

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."