Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 1997 18:04:40 -0600
From:      Jim Manley <jmanley@metronet.com>
To:        "DaveF" <flynnd@bignet.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Passthrough for VPN via FreeBSD Firewall

On Fri, 09 Jun 2000, DaveF wrote:
>=20
> Does anyone know if you can pass VPN info through a FreeBSD firewall? I=
 am
> trying to set up a VPN from a MS client behind a firewall to a distant =
VPN
> server.
>=20
Depends on the VPN software you are using.  If it is IPSec compliant and =
you
are not doing NAT on the firewall, you will need to pass UDP port 500 for=
 the
ISAKMP setup.  You will also need to be able to pass IP protocol types 50=
 and
51.  If you are using digital certificates, you'll need to pass TCP 389 (=
ldap).

If you are doing NAT, it may not work since the server will be trying to =
setup=20
the secure associations with the client and the firewall will be "in the =
way"
in the sense that it is the termination point the server sees but doesn't=
 have
the software necessary to set up the secure tunnels.

> Can this be done. I can get the CA but when the client tries to connect=
 to=20
> the VPN server, something happens?=20

This is usually the result when the firewall is doing NAT and the client =
cannot
communicate directly with the server.