Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:13:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

[Redirecting to a more-appropriate mailing-list.]

<<On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:53:21 +1030, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> said:

> I spoke to him on the phone this morning.  He replaced it with a 3Com
> card, but there was no significant difference in performance.  He's
> currently upgrading to -STABLE, which seems to be a sensible thing to
> do, so we should wait to see what happens then.

We appear to have some big TCP problems in -stable (and presumably in
-current as well).  Anyone wishing to look at traces is welcome to
retrieve http://khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu/test{,2,3,4}.tcpd and take a
look.  Warning: these files are very, very large:

 95M    test.tcpd
108M    test2.tcpd
107M    test3.tcpd
 15M    test4.tcpd

Each trace shows a single large file transfer from a 4.4-stable
machine to my -current desktop over a local-area network.  test4 was
aborted about 10% into the transfer so that you have a chance at
looking at the whole thing in xplot.  There are multiple pathologies
visible in the results, but a good place to start would be around
:56.44 in test4.

-GAWollman