Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 13:57:04 +0000
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as high speed router

Hi,

At 13:41 23/02/00 +0100, Martin Cracauer wrote:
>In <20000223115722.A23927@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, Christoph Kukulies
>wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 11:42:14AM +0100, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> > > The thing is bootet from floppy and is a pure filtering router, no
> > > NAT, no applications/server, no proxies (which is suicide on a
> > > firewall anyway).
> >
> > Would be interesting to tell how you managed to produce a bootable floppy
> > with the subsequent scripting that starts the OS and all that.
>
>This setup is still 2.2.8-stable as the same thing done with 3.x will
>not fit onto the floppy. It was done before PicoBSD, otherwise I would
>have based by work on that.

We're using a similar setup based on 3.3-STABLEish PicoBSD. Configuration
includes wdc support in the kernel, ed, telnetd, ftp client, and some
extras of our own, and it's running in 16MB of RAM. It's basically just a
plain ol' custom PicoBSD and it all fits on one floppy, although we're
actually booting it from compact flash (hence the wdc support, so we can
save changes to configuration). There's even room on the floppy for fsck in
case we get careless updating the flash.

--
Bob Bishop		    +44 118 977 4017
rb@gid.co.uk		fax +44 118 989 4254 (0800-1800 UK)