Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 07:29:09 +1000
From:      Rob Secombe <robseco@wizard.teksupport.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Named disappeared

At 11:18 01-05-98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi to all,
>
>Today, while I try to pick up my emails or check out other web sites. I
>unable to reach there with their names like yahoo.com but able to reach
>with IP addresses.
>
>I checked out my name server (currently use 'named') and found out there is
>no 'named' show up on ps -x command. I re-boot it to start over again and
>it's working now and 'named' showed up on ps command.
>
>How can this happened? Are there any reason(s) why the 'named' disappeared?
>
>Anyone who have same problem before?
>
>Thank you,
>
>- Mike Moran

We also had two of our nameservers, one in Melbourne and one in Canberra go
down within seconds of each other.

May  1 19:51:29 canberra /kernel: pid 70: named: uid 0: exited on signal 11
May  1 19:51:32 wizard /kernel.256: pid 70 (named), uid 0: exited on signal 11

This appears a global problem.

Rob Secombe
Engineering Director

Teksupport Pty. Ltd.