Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 05:55:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      davec@unforgettable.com
Subject:   IPFilter on 4.0-curren and cdev bogus cdevsw?

I've been running IPFIlter on FreeBSD4.0-Current on my Pentium 233MMX box for a while now.  And up until the middle of last week I haven't had any problems with it.  I cvsup to the latest src tree everynight and make buildworld (done at 4am with a crontab entry), and every morning I would installworld, build new kernel, MAKEDEV all, and fastboot.  Except last week on boot with the new kernel, I got:

CPU: Pentium/P55C (239.83-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x543  Stepping=3
  Features=0x8001bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX>
real memory  = 134217728 (131072K bytes)
avail memory = 127258624 (124276K bytes)
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc030e000.
Intel Pentium detected, installing workaround for F00F bug
ipl: ERROR: driver has bogus cdevsw->d_maj = -1

It then continues booting till it got time to load the ipfilter rules.  At which point I got:

	open device: Device not configured
	ioctl(SIOCADDFR): Bad file descriptor

for every rule it tried to load.  The system boots fine after that, and I get the same errors when I (as superuser) tried loading it by hand.

Booting the system with kernel.old works fine, ipl loads, and so do the rules.  I haven't heard anyone say anything regarding this in the mailing list recently, and a search through the online database comes up with nothing.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave
davec@unforgettable.com

PS.  While I'm here, anyone successfully loaded DOS 6.22 on bochs pass himem.sys?  bochs would try to load himem.sys, but after a few minutes it'd close and put me back to the BSD prompt.