Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:35:46 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@ait.ac.th>
To:        lee@kechara.net
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT?] - Central point router

Hi Lee,

Given than you may have to consider renumbering of the servers, and
that you could add a switch behind the FreeBSD router box, it is
pretty simple.

A PII 500, with 128 MB ram and 2 GB hardisk (where to find that small
disk) can do the trick.

If your LAN is only 10M, then a P100 would be enough (I had been
operating one for years, upgraded to PIII when we changed the LAN to
100M).

You may consider running gated or zebra, to the routing is limited and
static could do.

It is mainly problem of setting up the routing (which does not pertain
to this list) and opening few ports on the firewall.

One alternative solution read recently is to use DUMMY interface on
FreeBSD that allows to set-up a machine that has NO IP address (it is
like a sort of HUB) and still a firewall can be configured on it (see
mail archive less than 5 days ago). That way you avoid routing
problems and I beleive the machine is even more secure as it is
invisible from Internet. Of course you need a switch to serve your 3
servers.

Olivier