Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 11:34:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        kallio@cc.jyu.fi
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  Is someone running heavy loaded inn server?

> Please reply if you are running a heavy loaded News server.
>
> We have Pentium Pro 200 + 128M RAM + 3*4G IBM Wide + 2940 + 3COM 590
>
> +  Linux  RedHAt 4.1 !!!
>
> running inn in heavy load and it does not work (kernel 2.0.30 not at all,
> kernel 2.0.27 maybe) System is slowing down and at last it hangs.
>
> What kind of experience you have about FreeBSD + inn, what is the version
> of inn + FreeBSD you use?
>
> Does it work?
>
> What about ccd? Linux mcd seems not to work, or maybe Linux 2940 driver
> has some problems (is it same as in FreeBSD).

The Linux aic7xxx driver is buggy.  I'm working on bringing in the
latest changes Justin made to the FreeBSD aic7xxx driver.  Should
have that tonight, hopefully.  There are other problems in Linux,
particularly with error recovery in the mid-level SCSI code.  The
Linux mid-level SCSI code is responsible for command timeouts, so
it is hard to duplicate the error recovery Justin has built into
the FreeBSD aic7xxx driver.

If you're stuck on Linux, the best choice for a SCSI controller is
probably the BusLogic.

If you want to experiment with snapshots of the Linux aic7xxx driver,
you can grab them from ftp.pcnet.com:/users/eischen/Linux/...
There is an aic7xxx device driver mailing list that is multi-national
(FreeBSD, Linux, NetBSD) where you can get further information.
Send email to MajorDomo@FreeBSD.org with a message body of
"subscribe aic7xxx" to join.

Don't you want to be using FreeBSD on a heavily loaded News server
though? ;-)

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org