Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2015 09:23:48 -0800
From:      Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
To:        Matthias Schojohann <matthias.schojohann@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. laptop features

Hi Matt,

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 4:29 AM, Matthias Schojohann
<matthias.schojohann@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can i
>
> 1) tell my laptop to turn the screen off? vidcontrol -t 15 doesn't do
> anything it seems.

There's currently no way that I know of to turn the screen off.
However, you can set the brightness to 0, using:

  sysctl dev.backlight.0.level=0

It may not be too difficult to add the 'screen off' capability to vt,
I can look into that later (you can file a bugzilla for it, so it
doesn't get lost, if you'd like).

> 2) disable the feature that my laptop turns off when closing it? I know not
> recommended because of heat etc.

This is handled in /etc/devd/apple.conf , under the second block.

- Justin