Date:      28 Jul 2002 22:30:58 -0000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/41089: pax -B option does not mention interaction with -z option

>Number:         41089
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       pax -B option does not mention interaction with -z option
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD gurney.reilly.home 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #1: Sat Jul 27 10:14:36 EST 2002 root@gurney.reilly.home:/usr_plus/obj/usr_plus/src/sys/GURNEY i386

	P3-500, FreeBSD as above, target same, standard
	libraries.

	-B option of pax says that it limits the number of bytes
	written to a volume, but when the -z option is also used
	the number of bytes written is less than that specified,
	by the compression ratio.  For example, see
	How-To-Repeat.
>How-To-Repeat:
	You won't get the same result, because you don't have my
	file system contents, but any file tree should do (other
	than one full of MP3 files or the like...)
	pax -w -t -z -f /backup/full-${today_d}.pax -B667m $dirs
	resulted in the warning message
	"pax: User specified archive volume byte limit reached."
	but a subsequent listing of the /backup directory shows:
	-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  352215042 Jul 29 03:11 full-020729.pax

>Fix:

	Add a sentence or two to the description of the -B option
	along the lines of:
	"Note that the specified size is for the pax image
	itself.  If the -z option is also used, the resulting
	file may contain fewer bytes, according to the
	compressability of the archive contents."

	Alternatively, perhaps the pax author could be persuaded
	to run the archive size counter on the _output_ of the
	gzip pipe?  That would certainly be more useful.