Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 16:56:06 -0800
From:      Dave Yost <Dave@Yost.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The Linux PR firestorm disaster (w.r.t. FreeBSD)

=46orgive me if this has been endlessly hashed and rehashed here.  I've just=
 joined the mailing list.

Some young lone wolf in Finland writes a barebones unix kernel called linux,=
 and it captures the imagination of the world.  Later, the press latches on=
 to linux as THE alternative to Windows and NT and creates a firestorm. =
 Every time they do a report on linux, they neglect even to mention FreeBSD.

This is a disaster, and it must be attacked with full force as soon as=
 possible or FreeBSD will become hopelessly marginalized.

=46irst order of business, I think is that http://www.freebsd.org/ must have=
 a prominent main heading:
  FreeBSD vs. linux and others
which leads to some simple, forthright information suitable for nontechnical=
 journalists and TV news people.  It should also have a big, forbidding=
 table with lots of X marks for stuff FreeBSD has that linux doesn't and as=
 much technical backup material as possible.

Once that foundation is in place, the work can really begin.

Second order of business, I think, is to make as much of a P.R. splash as=
 possible that FreeBSD is looking for a new, flashy name so it can better=
 compete for mindshare with linux.  A write-in campaign to the press on this=
 matter would be great.  The end result of this may in fact be to stick with=
 the name, but the PR attention will be good.

Third order of business  Get FreeBSD visible in stores.  Fry's _doesn't=
 carry it!__  We will all have to work to force it to begin flowing through=
 the retail store channels.  This will have a major impact.  Pester every=
 store that carries the Linux box to get them to carry the FreeBSD box, and=
 BUY IT THERE, not on the web or on the 800 number.  Walnut Creek:=
 discourage phone orders in favor of store purchase, and explain why you're=
 doing it.

There is a lot more that can be done, but these three are the high-order=
 bits in my mind.

I suggest that there should be a public advocacy newsgroup:
  comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.advocacy
which should be put in process at once.

In the meantime, someone can create
  alt.comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.advocacy