Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:36:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael DuFresne <vdue@zen.tc>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 and what 802.11b

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, David Wolfskill wrote:

> >Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:30:14 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: Michael DuFresne <vdue@zen.tc>
>
> >Anyone have a pointer to info regarding the state of wireless for 4.3?
>
> Well, I've been using [Cisco/]Aironet cards for a while on a variety of
> laptops.  It's my current understanding that the an(4) driver in -STABLE
> is OK for some firmware levels on the cards, but sufficiently recent
> firmware changed the sizes of some structs, and the driver that is
> presently in -STABLE doesn't deal with that very well.

I have looked at the Cisco cards, but dang, they are expensive. From
what I can tell, a Cisco card+ap is $700. I was hoping to keep the
costs down to a reasonable level without sacrificing too much
functionality/security.

> I've been running with various patches (from Doug Ambrisko; see
> http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/) that handle the newer firmware (which
> supports Cisco's LEAP, for example) better.  He's also done some things
> so I can run the Linux version of Cisco's "acu" and "cem" utilities, as
> well as some command-line utilities to load new firmware and display the
> "RIDs" on the card.

Stupid question time: If I apply patches from an external source (ie
other than from cvsup..), how is cvsup affected?

> A fair amount of this will be what works with whatever you want to
> communicate with.  :-}  And although it would appear that you're not in
> the local area, the archives of the BAWUG (Bay Area Wireless User Group;
> http://lists.bawug.org/pipermail/wireless/) will likely be of interest &
> use.

I'm in Walnut Creek.

All that I really need to get working is a wireless link to my home
network. I have a few machines working now with various OSes. Work has
stated that I can do some work from home provided I can get a VLAN
working to the Cisco routers at work. So, if I'm going to telecommute,
I might as well do it from the lanai.

For the work part, the laptop will use that Redmond stuff, but I want
to make sure I can also use FreeBSD whenever I'm not using the laptop
for 'work'.

> FWIW, my personal laptop is similar to a Dell Inspiron 5000e (made by
> Compal), and I've been tracking 4-STABLE and 5-CURRENT on it since early
> March... daily....  Stuff about it is at
> http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/laptop.html

Cool. Thanks,

Mike

--
Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite. Zathras
is finite. This ...is wrong tool.