Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:10:51 +0100
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        David.E.Tweten@nasa.gov
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH Vulnerable Prior to 3.7.1

Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
> I understand that FreeBSD patches old versions of OpenSSH instead of
> substituting new ones,

That depends, but upgrading is generally a lot more work (and
introduces other risks).

It is however highly unlikely that we will ever upgrade OpenSSH in 4.x
to 3.7.1, as it does not support Kerberos IV, which we still want to
support in 4.x.

>                        but my question is whether sshd version
> "OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030924" has these vulnerabilities fixed.

We do not know of any vulnerabilities in FreeBSD-STABLE's OpenSSH.  If
you have any information we don't, we'd be very much obliged if you
could forward it to <secteam@freebsd.org>.

>                                                                    Is it
> as secure as OpenSSH 3.7.1?

As far as we know, yes.