Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:41:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mohsin Rahman <mtech@buffnet.net>
To:        Tim Poth <timp@pcageinc.com>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to change a nic

If you can, just bring down your machine, install the 2nd card,
and see if FreeBSD finds it. If it does, depending on if it is
de0, fxp0, ed0 or whatever, just edit these lines in your

/etc/rc.conf   and
/etc/defaults/rc.conf

and change the lines

network_interfaces="de0 XXX lo0"
ifconfig_XXX="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0"

where XXX is your NEW NIC

reboot, and see if things work as always. If they do, bring it
down again, remove old nic and you are done.

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Tim Poth wrote:

> i have a nic installed but i want to install a differnt one on my free
> bsd 3.3 box.
> how do i tell freebsd that there is a new card and what to do with it(if
> i even asked that right)
>
> thanks alot
> Tim Poth

Mohsin AbdulRahman