Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 23:21:18 -0700
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

>> Why ?
>>
>> 1. People will have to make their changes as patches this way.
>
>CVS does that for us.  Having 'patches' doesn't buy us anything when
>it's a critical portion of the tree.

Sorry, but available history shows that this, true as it may be in
theory, doesn't work in practice.  On the otherhand we get patches
from the ports collection integrated at the authors all the time.

>> 2. It makes communication with the author(s) easier that we know what
>> 	our changes actually are.
>
>When a person sends diffs, either the author accepts them or he doesn't.
>TCL changes *radically* from stable version to version, so importing it
>via a vendor branch makes it *much* easier to see vs. having to go find
>out by where in the patch fits.
Considering what you claimed to know about Tcl, I think you lack data
for saying that TCL changes "*radically*" here.  It hasn't for a long
time.

>> 3. It makes it easier for people to experiment with a never version
>> 	on their own.
>
>Ports already allows for this.
no.

Try gcc for a prime example of how it doesn't work.

>> 4. It takes up LESS space.
>
>BS.  The *first* version takes up less space, but for every version
>afterwards it takes up *incredibly* more space.  Every new import
>effectively doubles the space, since there is probably < 10% overlap in
>a uuencoded gzip file.

du(1) our gcc versions to see if that holds water :-)

>> The discussion ?  well, I have tried to start it several times, and
>> nobody seemed to care, so they obviously cannot feel too much about it
>> ?
>
>BS.  I've argued against through email and in personal conversation.
>But Jordan agreed so it didn't matter.
Nate, curb your paranoia.  There havn't been any discussion, because
it wasn't possible to start one.  There still isn't, only a lot of
shouting from various "usual suspects" who are not willing to put up
with the maintenance of any of this stuff themselves.

>> I hope Peter will import the new GCC the same way, nomatter what we
>> decide to do with the tarballs.
>
>I certainly *hope* not, and given his complaints I would think he knows
>better than to.

At least Peter has "been there, done that" so he knows what he's talking
about.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.