Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:08:47 -0500
From:      afleming@fhsu.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        e-masson@kisoft-services.com
Subject:   Re: OpenLDAP and passwd file

Ok, I was able to compile LDAP with the passwd option and it no longer
gives me an error when I use databasetype passwd.  But I still am not doing
something right.  I always get a "no such object" (0x20) error when ever I
try to do a search against it.  I also tried to set the file option to
/etc/master.passwd, and get a message back saying that the file option is
not supported on this platform.  (Is this a problem?)

I have used LDAP servers that are already set up like Netscape's and
LotusDomino, but have never tried to set up OpenLDAP before, so it is more
then likely something simple that I just don't know about.

I would be grateful for any help anyone can offer.

Andrew Fleming
Fort Hays State University Computing Center
Phone: (785) 628-4433
E-mail: afleming@fhsu.edu

                    Eric Masson
                    <e-masson@kisoft-ser        To:     afleming@fhsu.edu
                    vices.com>                  cc:     freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
                    08/30/2000 03:35 PM
                    Please respond to
                    e-masson

    AF> I have a system running FreeBSD 4.0, and I would like to set up
    AF> OpenLDAP to use the system password file for information.

    AF> When ever I try to use database passwd in the slapd.conf, I get a
    AF> message "Unrecognized database type (passwd)".  Can anyone tell me
    AF> what I am doing wrong, or give me a sample file for using the
    AF> system passwd file.
Hello,

Password backend isn't enabled by default in the port, you have to enable
it by hand by adding the correct option to CONFIGURE_ARGS.

I do not have the tarball here so I can't tell you the exact option.

Hope it helps

Eric Masson
--
Progress : (n) What led from smart users in front of dumb terminals to
dumb users in front of smart terminals.