Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:06:54 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What kind of motherboard?

--e4annfiqlsPm5rKd

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:57:30PM -0800, Holtor wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I have a freebsd 4.10 server. Is there anyway I can find out what kind of=
 motherboard is inside it
> without acctually taking it apart? I noticed that other servers running F=
reeBSD 5.3 tell me in the
> kernel bootup which can be seen in /var/run/dmesg.boot but in 4.10 I do n=
ot see it anywhere. Is
> there a command to see it or a sysctl which shows it or anything? Any ide=
as would be appreciated.=20
>=20
> Please CC: me on any replies as I am not subscribed to the list yet.
>=20
> Thank you,
>=20
> Holt G.

My general thought is no.  The manufacturer of a particular mainboard
does not necessarily have anything to do with the manufacturer of any of
the particular components on said motherboard - the components with
which FreeBSD may actually interact, and this included the BIOS/CMOS
chip.

Sometimes it's really difficult to determine the manufacturer of a
mainboard even by opening the box.  In some cases you may have to fall
back on the FCC id, and in other cases you won't even find that.

Nathan

--e4annfiqlsPm5rKd

--e4annfiqlsPm5rKd--