Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 21:03:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
To:        Michael Slater <slaterm@tnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Converting linux shadow passwords

>       I am in the process of switching from Linux to FreeBSD, and am
> wondering if their is a method of Converting the Linux password/shadow
> file into a FreeBSD password file, other than manually re-entering every
> user ?

You can not convert the format. Both password systems are based on
different functions, and both functions are designed to be one-way.

You can, however, set up your FreeBSD system to use the standard DES style
passwords. This is covered in the FAQ section 2.20. Take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ43.html

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
| Email: steve@edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
| PGP (2048/9F317269) Fingerprint: 11C89D1CD67287E68C09EC52443F8830 |
|          -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, IANAL. --          |