Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 02:36:28 +0000
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RE: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 04:01:27PM -0700, David Schwartz wrote:

> > It was stated that you, the author, didn't have a choice, and could
> > not use the GPL (without modifying it) and avoid allowing your users to
> > choose a later version.
> >
> > That statement was not true.
>
> 	If RMS publically states that he will grant permission for people to apply
> the GPL with statements before or after it that modify its terms, I will
> withdraw that complaint. If not, I stand by it.

RMS does not need to make such a statement. He is powerless to prevent
people from using whatever licenses they wish to use. The only power he
has relates to the use of GPL, a copyrighted document, by other people.
That power is given away by him when he allows GPL to be copied verbatim
and distributed, without modifications, and doesn't put any additional
requirements on the use.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/