Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:02:51 -0800
From:      "Joshua Lokken" <inspector.us@omicnet.com>
To:        "Samuel Chow" <cyschow@shaw.ca>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Newbies@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: UNIX Mail help

Ok, that makes sense.  Would an internal caching nameserver still
be a good idea?  I have a small site; 4 FreeBSD machines, one of
which is the gateway/router and one of which is the server, a test box
and a workstation, also a Sparcstation5/Solaris box.  My needs are to
host my domain only (httpd, mail, mp3).

> > >     3) understand how your ISP do mail, and decide how much
> > >         you want to leverage their infrastructure.
> > >

> > For my own sense of security/sanity, I'd like to try to keep
> > this as ISP-independent as possible.  But, understanding my ISPs
> > mail infrastructure can't be bad, in any case...
>
>     You have your limitations on what you can do.  For example,
>     since you are on DHCP, you do not get mail once your IP
>     is changed and your MX record hasn't been changed.  Is
>     that something you want?

I understand the implications of this setup, however, my IP hasn't
changed
once in 2 years.  If it does, I have ddclient checking periodically
with ZoneEdit
to update the IP.  Will this still take [up to] 72 hours to propagate,
as with any
name updates?

>     Another example is my reverse DNS does not always work, and
>     guess what?  I can't deliver mail to freebsd.org during
>     those time.  So what I do is to setup qmail with a static
>     route with freebsd.org domain to go to my ISP.

If you have time and energy, I'd be interested in knowing a little
more about
that.  How do you setup a static route for that situation?

>     Choices like that cannot be made until you understand what
>     your limitations are and what your ISP can do.  That's what
>     I meant.

To find meaningful answers to these ISP-related issues, who do I
contact?
Any Joe Blow at the ISPs office?  A specific department?  What
questions
do I need to ask?  I know that I sometimes complicate things more than
they
need to be in my own mind...

Again, thanks!

--