Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 14:27:38 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mark.Andrews@isc.org, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libc flaw: BIND 9 closes most holes but also opens one

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 09:35 PM 6/28/2002, Mark.Andrews@isc.org wrote:
>
> >        Firstly lib/bind is *not* built by default.  You have to
> >        explictly build it with "configure --enable-libbind".
>
> If that's so, you may still have an old libbind on your system
> which is vulnerable. ONLY the libbind from 8.3.3 is immune.
>
> >        "libbind" is a *copy* of BIND 8's libbind which *is* fixed
> >        in 8.2.6 and 8.3.3.
>
> Only in 8.3.3, according to ISC. BIND 9.2.1's libbind is not fixed.

Brett,

	The libbind bug is fixed in both 8.2.6, and 8.3.3. Please be more
careful to read what is posted before responding. That said, if you are
going to run a BIND 8 server, I think you're a lot better off with
8.3.3. But the fix is available for those who can't upgrade, for
whatever reason.

Thanks,

Doug

ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.2.6/825-826.diff

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?