Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 07:31:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jin@george.lbl.gov
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, michael.e.remski@lmco.com
Subject:   Re: Motherboard Upgrades

defintely?
It is good recommendation, but not defintely if you looked at p9-10 on
	www-itg.lbl.gov/~jin/performance.pen.ps

It is a good motherboard with some drawback:

(1)	only four expension slots -- 2 PCI, 1 PCI/ISA, 1 ISA
(2)	It is designed for K6-II/III only --
		you cannot use old components -- most people don't need
(3)	FreeBSD 3.x or later has problem on boot manager to boot FreeBSD
	on second disk or on second partition (2,3,4 on DOS partition)

The FIC 503+ seems having better memory performance than P5A, and it can use
old memory SIMM/DIMM.  It is a little hard to use in two place:
	setting jummper for memory and bus -- most has only one -- this is
	because that you can use a fast CPU with slower memory; save memory.

	The board layout is not prefected. The mounting hole and keyboard
	hole are mis-aligned, so the mounting is a little harder. Not big
	deal.

	Also, sometimes, it seems to be dead, but reset will "rescue" it :-)

-Jin