Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 17:44:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        Tony Kimball <alk@think.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
> Sometimes you do not CARE when someone last read a file.  It costs lots and
> lots of disk bandwidth to write that information back on a busy news server
> where thousands of files are accessed during every 30 second interval.
>
> If you do not have to write that information, you now have more disk
> bandwidth with which to READ more data, which is what you really wanna
> do.

Clayton O'Neill fixed Linux to not update ATIMEs for use on his newsserver
and he did get some noticeable performance improvements.  Nowhere near the
improvements he got when he went RAID via DPT, but still, it was worth it.

I think he even had a mount time flag that would allow per fs ATIME
updates.  (ie: mount -o noatime)

I've not really looked at doing this yet but it didn't look very straight
forward.

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|