Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:17:24 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Kevin Lyons <klyons@corserv.corserv.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: winDriver selling fbsd

Brad Knowles said on Jun 25, 2001 at 15:56:32:
> 	That's a good question.  First off, they don't sell FreeBSD
> itself.  BSDi didn't sell FreeBSD itself.  Walnut Creek didn't sell
> FreeBSD itself.  What they all have sold (and WindRiver continues to
> sell) are certain products related to FreeBSD.

That's a nitpick.  It's like saying Red Hat doesn't sell Linux, but a
CD set relating to Linux.

> 	Moreover, if you go to the FreeBSDmall site, it is clear that
> they have now been bought by WindRiver, and there's even a FAQ page,
> etc....  In addition, if you recall recent discussions on this list
> regarding an e-mail message that WindRiver recently sent out to a lot
> of people registered through FreeBSDmall, it should be fairly clear
> that they consider this the place where FreeBSD and FreeBSD-related
> stuff is sold.

If they consider it so, they should have a link on their webpage,
surely?  I can't find one, either in "Products", or in "Support", or
in "Partners".

I mean, you'd hardly call StarOffice Sun's flagship product (and they
too bought it, they didn't create it) but they do mention it on their
main page.  Likewise, if you go to IBM and click on software and then
on OS, you find a mention of linux, though it's not in any sense one
of "their" products.  Is it too much to expect Wind River to at least
mention FreeBSD on their own web page?

> 	There may be some that fit that definition.  Overall, I'd have to
> say that the attitude is more one of "Hey, give 'em a break, at least
> for a while".

True.  But I don't think the correct reaction is to call the
questioners idiots.