Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:50:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        Jameel Akari <jakari@bithose.com>, <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Machine Check when booting dqa0?

Hi guys,
	Has anyone else had problems getting a video card to work with X
in a PC164? I've tried a cirrus logic PCI card, which X didn't even build
a module for, and a Matrox Mystique MGA1064SG-based card. The Mystique
changes to a video mode, displays some arbitrary graphics lines of
different colors and locks the box solid. Any suggestions?
	Has anyone tested a cheap GeForce2 MX PCI card in their Alpha yet?
I know I won't get any hardware acceleration, but lots of video RAM
wouldn't be a bad thing.

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Bernd Walter wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 11:43:31AM -0400, Jameel Akari wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Josh Tolbert wrote:
> >
> > > 	All my drive problems went away when I used a different IDE cable.
> >
> > 	*blinks*  I've tried at least a half-dozen cables.  I haven't used
> > a UDMA66 (80-conductor) cable because the CMD controller barely does
> > UDMA/33, and I  don't think that I need a cable-select cable.  Same issue.
> > I only get dqa0.  If you can find another cable to test a second device
> > with, I'd really like to know if it works or not.

	I grabbed another cable. Both hard drives now show up (on the
primary cable), but the (secondary master) CD-ROM doesn't show up in the
SRM console. FreeBSD sees the CD-ROM just fine, however.

> > > 	The IDE performance on this PC164 leaves much to be desired. I'm
> > > going to have to toss a SCSI card in this thing and just go SCSI.
> >
> > 	Indeed.  I time it at 4.5MB/sec when forced to UDMA mode.  NFS
> > over a 100Mb network will be almost twice as fast.
>
> I'm seeing 13-14MB/s on my PC164 with the onboard controller.
> ad0: 98166MB <IC35L100AVVA07-0> [199450/16/63] at ata0-master tagged WDMA2
> ad1: 98166MB <IC35L100AVVA07-0> [199450/16/63] at ata1-master tagged WDMA2
> The machine is running -current, but I don't think this should make
> a factor 3 difference.
>
> > 	Incidentally, does anyone have a listing of third-party
> > aftermarket SCSI controllers that get along with SRM?  I've tried two
> > different Symbios controllers, and neither is compatible enough to be
> > functional.  (Neither gives you dka* for disks; one lists as a NCR
> > controller in show conf, the other is just a random PCI device number.)
>
> Oliver Lehmann has setup a webpage with tested controllers.
> http://www.pofo.de/alpha-boot/index.php?field=chipset
>
> --
> B.Walter              COSMO-Project         http://www.cosmo-project.de
> ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de