Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:23:20 -0500
From:      "Dennis Reiter" <mcneills@accessus.net>
To:        "Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav " <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, "Jan B Koum" <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: QPopper exploit

>"Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com> writes:
>> Every computer which is somehow connected to any network (be it
>> Internet or not) must have proper security in place. If you think you not
>> going to get broken into for whatever reason .. guess what? Yes.
>
>You know that, and I know that, and I'm sure quite a few other readers
>of this list know that. But you'd be amazed to know how many people
>believe that crackers will overlook them just because they're on a
>dialup.
>
>If I were a cracker, the first thing I'd try would be to scan IP
>ranges known to belong to large ISPs' dialup servers, precisely for
>that reason (and also because there's a much higher chance of finding
>machines run by inexperienced or careless people there than amongst
>permanently connected hosts)
>
>DES
>--
>Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no

Exactly,

and I should and do know better.  I'm considering this to
be my "wake-up call" and consider myself lucky.  I just don't
want anyone else to ignore it like me and pay the price.
The more I think about it, there's no reason at the present
time for anybody outside my personal network to even be able
to access the POP port.  Doh! Another hole for me to patch.
I better get busy.......

P.S.  2.2.7 is running great.  Not one problem, Kudos to
everybody!!

Regards,
Denny Reiter
denny@kewanee.net