Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:46:01 +0100
From:      Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr (Pierre Beyssac)
To:        steve@visint.co.uk (Stephen Roome)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.1.1

According to Stephen Roome:
> I was under the impression that there are some fairly important changes in
> BIND 8.1.1, and especially after all the recent stuff with alternic and
> nominet I guess there's people upgrading the default bind by hand now,
> which is probably a pain!

You don't need 8.1.1 to get the latest security fixes: BIND 4.9.6
has the same fixes. I think that's the version included in FreeBSD 2.2.5.
I believe the 4.9.x series are intended to receive all such fixes.

Making BIND 8.1.1 the default under FreeBSD 2.2.x has the drawback that
it would break existing 2.2.x installations relying on BIND 4.x configs.
--
Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr