Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 17:16:30 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        dk+@ua.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lp booting: first cut

In message <199607230850.EAA03102@dog.farm.org>, Dmitry Kohmanyuk writes:

>I have finally managed to ping(1) my little DTR-1 notebook
>booted diskless over printer cable.

COOL!  I've been meaning to get to this for SOO long, but it kept
sliding down my todolist.

>my host box (dog.farm.org) is 486-DX80, 16M RAM, and the client machine is
>DTR-1, a Cyrix 486SLC (8 or 25MHz selectable), with 6Megs of RAM.
>I found that 8 MHz gives me more network bandwidth - I cannot understand why.

The plip stuff depends on the speed of both cpus, it's very finiky.

>unfortunately, the kernel cannot proceed to single-user (all it
>says is `NFS SWAP:' and `NFS ROOT:' lines).  I am trying to figure what's
>wrong now. Previously, I had error 65 (no route to host) in nfs/nfs_vfsops.c,
>but I have fixed that by adding explicit gateway.

There is some utterly disgusting code that tries to find a ed%d interface
to use in the kernel.  That would be a problem.  You need to explain
to it that it's a lp0 interface instead in this case.  The right medium
for this explanation is the struct nfs_diskless (?) and since you change
that you need to change the version# of it, and then locore.s to copy
the right number of bytes.  (Yes, I hate it too)

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.