Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 08:55:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.0-current 20000826 snapshot problems

I just had a problem trying to install the latest -current
snapshot from the 8/26 snap.  Background:

Windows trashed my hard disk on one of my machines, so I had
to do clean install.  Since I run -current on that machine
anyways, I decided to try the latest snapshot to restore it.

Booting kern.flp (i386) gives me (pardon any typos, I'm looking at
one screen and typing on the other):

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
(root@usw2.freebsd.org, Sat Aug 26 11:14:35 GMT 2000)
/kernel text=0x2432ca zf_read: fill error

elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
/
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel]...
/kernel text=0x2432ca zf_read: fill error

elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'

Type '?' for a list of commands.....
ok ls       ----- [ the ls was typed by me ] ------
/
 d boot
   kernel.gz
ok boot kernel.gz
don't know how to load module '/kernel.gz'

This isn't a show stopper for me, since I can restore the machine
via other methods, but since I haven't done a clean FreeBSD install
in a while, I thought I would try our latest & greatest to
see how it worked.  As you can see, it didn't go very well :-(.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mppsystems.com