Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 09:52:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        (Satoshi Asami) <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: cvsup5.FreeBSD.ORG is open for business

Satoshi Asami wrote:

> I've been wondering, would it be feasible to have aliases like
> "cvsup-georgia" and "ftp-texas" so people can more easily pick
> the site that's closest to them.

Probably not.  People would still have to look in the Handbook to find
out which states had servers at all.  E.g., somebody in Ohio couldn't
just use "cvsup-ohio", because there isn't one.  (Or did you mean we'd
have 50 aliases?)

F5 Labs (www.f5.com) makes a pretty cool product called 3DNS that
would solve the whole problem very nicely.  We could have just a
single alias "cvsup.FreeBSD.ORG".  The 3DNS system would resolve it to
the "best" mirror site for each client, based on all kinds of metrics
such as RTT between client and server, current server loads, etc.
It's slick, but I doubt we could afford it. :-)

John
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken