Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:57:40 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Confused About Linux Compatibility

Eitan Adler wrote:

> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>

>> Bottom line, what linux_base port should I install and do I need to set
>> this sysctl to something?  I'm confused...
>>
> If you have a recent 7-STABLE changing the linux kernel version to
> 2.6.16   and running -f8 should not be a problem.  If your running 6-*
> or 7-RELEASE stick with linux base fc4.

Thank you for your reply.  I am running 7.1-PRERELEASE.  I plan to
update to 7.1-RELEASE as soon as I can get to the console, probably
within the next month or so.  Is 7.1-PRERELEASE recent enough for -f8?
It was built Oct. 9th.  Is there any big advantage of -f8 over -fc4?  I
guess I just *feel* like -f8 would be more "updated" and less hassle in
the long run.  However I know that with software, newer isn't always
better.  :)

Thanks,

Drew

--