Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:03:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      james binder <binderj@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD page faults

I have installed FreeBSD 3.3, 3.4 by downloading essentials to a dos
partition and using the 2 floppy method.

I use M-Tech motherboard with Cyrix PR200 6x86mx with SIS chipset 5582.
Hard drive is a Conner 1GB ide and Quantum 9.1 GB, both LBA mode, but
most recently only on the 1GB using whole drive. I have 64mb FP memory.
I use file system default sizes when installing.
I have a Matrox Mystique video card. This equipment has been running
various releases of Slackware linux for 3 years and
(when I still used it-win95), without any problems, and most certainly no
page faults. (occasional SEGV)

I tried Freebsd because I like the organization and systematic approach
and the cvsup. I read where it is "rock solid" so I figured "let's try
it."

I get random and very seldom page faults (no page present) such as when
compiling a new kernel or unpacking TeXmf port.

My assumption is that one should never encounter a page fault with FreeBSD
otherwise it could hardly be considered "rock solid" and so I wonder what
it is about my setup that does not work properly with this OS. I have been
reading the newsgroup and gnats database and some archives of lists but
have not found anything that seems similar. I see in the hardware lists
that Cyrix 6x86mx should not be problem so I wonder about the SIS-5582.

I have been at this for about 3 months so far.

Jim Binder  binderj@earthlink.net