Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 22:58:55 -0700
From:      Neal Koss <nkoss@dr.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading

At 05:53 PM 10/5/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 04:53:32PM -0700, Neal Koss wrote:
> > It would seem that I have some kind of hardware problem since I keep
> coming
> > up with a signal 11 at random times during the 'cvsup'. I have read the
> > support docs, but I find it hard to believe (I know, I'm stubborn). Before
> > I start pulling thinds out, I would like to try to upgrade from 3.3 to
> > 4.1.1 some other way. Isn't there a way to take the standard 4.1.1 RELEASE
> > iso-image CD (which I have already downloaded and created) and upgrade my
> > system from that. There is a file called UPGRADE.TXT that talks about a
> > program called 'sysinstall' (and you need the one for the NEW system, not
> > the old one) but I can't seem to find it on the CD. Can someone give me a
> > step by step here or point me in the right direction. TIA
> >

>         You night want to consider a binary upgrade.  A fellow engineer
>         at Duke mentioned this to me... after I was mostly done with
>         my cvsup upgrade.  One day I (or someone) has to outline the
>         details of a binary upgrade.
>
>         You can get started by as root, typing
>
>         /stand/sysinstall
>
>         and poking around among the menus.  Your 3.3 /stand/sysinstall
>         should still be valid; if you want the newest it should be
>         on the CD that you pulled down.
>
>         It shouldn't be this difficult.  Got to be a set of cookbook
>         commands that can be typed in and let run.  It is on my to-do
>         list for publication, perhaps.
>
>         If my mumbling isn't enough help you'll probably hear from
>         others.  good luck and keep us posted,
>
>         gary

Well, the first paragraph in the UPGRADE.TXT file on every version says,
"Using a mismatched version of sysinstall is almost guaranteed to cause
problems and has been known to leave systems in an unusable state.  The
most commonly made mistake in this regard is the use of an old copy of
/stand/sysinstall from an existing installation to upgrade to a newer
version of FreeBSD.  This is NOT recommended.

And I really did search the CD that I pulled down and I just don't see it.
I am really hesitant to use the 3.3 version considering the warning.

Neal Koss, MD             nkoss@dr.com         Eudora Pro 5.0
                http://www.healinx.com/doc/kossmd

                http://www.checkthegrid.com
Before you go to the movies...Check The Grid!