Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2019 16:08:55 +0100
From:      Al <al@datazap.net>
To:        "freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Migration from NetBSD (was Re: Problems booting from CD)

On 23/01/19 02:55, Al wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Installing FreeBSD 12 on a G3 Blue & White. First, I pulled out the
> faster ATA controller and the 2 networks cards and then disconnected
> the hard drive. Tried to boot from the CD. It will boot and then crash
> when it is looking at it's network port. No kernel panic, no debugger.
> If I hit enter instead of waiting for the delay loading the kernel,
> then it will give me several errors about the file system being read
> only. It seems to mount it, but then reboots. I can't completely read
> what is on the screen because it happens so fast. I thought maybe it
> was the CD, so I have burnt several CDs, but it doesn't seem to make
> any difference. It has an RDB keyboard. I thought maybe that might be
> the problem, but it is the same with it unplugged, it always gives the
> same results.
>
> I  also tried to do an install on a PowerBook G3 with a G4 upgrade.
> This computer has a DVD drive and it will boot OSX 10.4 and Linux from
> a DVD. Still it crashes during boot up too using the FreeBSD install
> CD. It crashes at a different place than the Blue & White, but always
> in the same place.
>
> I am not sure if I included enough information. I can include the
> exact line when the boot stopped if needed. Also, would someone have a
> dmesg from a successful boot with a G3 from a CD they would be willing
> to share?
>
> I searched for a solution, but it seems no one else is having this
> same issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am trying to migrate from NetBSD to FreeBSD. I have since tried to
install FreeBSD on every available PowerPC system I have. Since
searching didn't yield anything, so I looked at some old threads in the
FreeBSD PPC mailing list. I have to wonder if I can do an install from a
CD on older Macs. It sounds like I need to do an install from another
medium (like a hard drive) after reading through the mailing list. Also,
my goal in getting the G3 running FreeBSD is 2 fold. First, it would be
nice to upgrade the OS, next I want to be able to build the
kernel/userland for my X5000. I have tried to build it in a virtual
machine, but I get stuck at the last step in compiling uboot from NetBSD
(I knew I couldn't get away from NetBSD that easy).

I did have one other thought. A G3 or G4 can not boot from USB. Also, I
can not create a FreeBSD filesystem from another OS. Of course with an
image the install could be done with any OS. What if I took the
thumbdrive image and install it onto a hard drive. Would FreeBSD know
where to find its userland? I guess it is worth a try.

Kind Regards,
Al