Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:57:02 +0100
From:      "José Mª Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        "Anthony E. Coley" <anthony@sohopros.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win98 and Samba?

"Anthony E. Coley" <anthony@sohopros.com> wrote:
> Using Samba I can see my FreeBSD machine in network
> neighborhood but I'm unable to access it.  When I try
> to access my bsd machine I get this mesage "You must
> supply a password to make this connection:"  and it
> gives me a place to type a password.  I'm logging on
> my win98 machine with the same username and password
> as I have on my bsd machine.  I'm using 2.2.6.
>
> Also if I type the correct password it returns a message
> saying "The password is incorrect please try again"

Windows 98 and NT4(SP3) _require_ encrypted passwords from
the server. There are two possible solutions:

  - Enable encrypted passwords in Samba. This is the best solution
    if the Samba server is being accessed by a WinNT boxes, or
    a mixture of Win95/Win98/WinNT clients. However, password
    encryption in samba requires another password file
    (/usr/local/private/smbpasswd), which you would create, populate
    and maintain.

  - Disable the requirement of encrypted passwords in you Win98
    clients. This needs a single addition to the Win98 registry:
    go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP"
    and add the value "EnablePlainTextPassword" = 1 (dword). Then
    reboot.

You may want to read some documents in /usr/local/share/doc/samba,
such as Win95.txt (yes, Win95) or ENCRYPTION.txt.

Good luck,
-- JMA
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-944647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139