Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 13:09:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: first time for everything...

On Wed, 26 May 1999, David O'Brien wrote:

> > ===> gnu/usr.bin/sdiff
> > install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   sdiff /usr/bin
> > *** Error code 71
> >
> > Now, I looked in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/sdiff, and sure 'nuff, there was NO
> > file called sdiff for install to do it's magic on.
>
> Try looking in /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/sdiff.
> A normal `make world' puts the objects and binaries in a "shadow" tree in
> /usr/obj.

Ugh!  I did jump the gun again, and I did skip the check on /usr/obj.

After boggling at this for a while, I tried make installworld again, and
it worked.  Still no reason as to why it gave an error the first time
around though.

It's rather disconcerting when things like this happen.  Makes it hard to
taunt the linux crowd with how easy it is to keep a FreeBSD system up to
date. :)

--
  Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
  iPlus Internet Services