Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 02:20:41 GMT
From:      Studded@san.rr.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   misc/5855: Update for /etc/services

>Number:         5855
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       /etc/services is out of date with IANA
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE-0223 i386
>Environment:

	Any FreeBSD system

	Our /etc/services file is badly out of date when compared to the current
list of IANA assignments.

>How-To-Repeat:

	DNA

>Fix:

	I downloaded the latest list from
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/port-numbers (last updated 2/24/98) and
compared our list to theirs. There are numerous omissions and mistakes in our list,
mostly in the higher range. I added the ddp services from our list, and deleted the
comments about kerberos conflicts since they seem to be worked out in the new list.

	There is one oddity with their list that I don't understand. Among the few
others, they have port ranges for

x11             6000-6063/tcp   X Window System
x11             6000-6063/udp   X Window System

and

ircu            6665-6669/tcp  IRCU
ircu            6665-6669/udp  IRCU

	Using utilities like netstat and trafshow, the x11 range is identified
correctly, but the ircu range is not identified at all. I played with this a bit and
couldn't make out what the differences are, if any. There are only 3 other protocols
with port ranges in their list, so I don't think this will be a big problem.

	I placed the actual patch on ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/
with the name services.diff.gz because of it's size (c. 80k gzipped).

Hope this helps,

Doug

Ps, If this falls through the cracks and someone gets to it at a latter date, you
might consider revisiting the www page and getting the latest list. They seem to
update it pretty often.